Ms. Jewett has practiced almost exclusively in commercial real estate law throughout her career, including retail, industrial and office leasing; ground leasing; disposition and acquisition of multi-family, industrial, office and retail properties and related financing; development of raw land for commercial and residential use, including preparation of agreements regarding platting and entitlements, multi-party access easements and covenants, conditions and restrictions; review and cure of title issues, and preparation of condominium and owner association documents.
Although she was raised in San Antonio and earned her bachelor’s degree at Rice University, Ms. Jewett attended law school in Los Angeles and started her real estate practice in the Orange County office of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker, LLP. A large, international firm, Paul Hastings provided the opportunity to work on sophisticated commercial transactions, particularly during the late-90’s Southern California real estate boom. As a result of her ties to California, Ms. Jewett regularly acts as local counsel for Californians doing business in Texas.
In 2000, Ms. Jewett returned to San Antonio and continued her real estate practice at Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP, and later Matthews and Branscomb, P.C., before opening her own practice, which led to the formation of Uhl, Fitzsimons, Jewett & Burton, PLLC.
With a range of experience from “big law” to solo practice, Ms. Jewett has a particular appreciation for what lawyers at each end of the spectrum are able to offer – or not offer – their clients. As such, she strives to give her clients the best of both worlds: expertise, personal attention and cost-effective legal representation.
Professional Qualifications and Affiliations
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California, J.D., cum laude & Order of the Coif, 1997
- Rice University, Houston, Texas, B.A., cum laude, in English and Spanish, 1991
- Admitted to practice in California in 1997 (inactive) and Texas in 2000
- Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2006
- Member: Urban Land Institute; Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas; Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of California; Founding Board Member, CREW Austin, Inc. (Commercial Real Estate Women); Impact San Antonio
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star (Thomson Reuters), 2006
- Named among San Antonio's Best Lawyers by S.A. Scene Magazine, July/August 2013
- Graduate of Leadership San Antonio, Class XXXIV
- Representation of the developer of a master planned development from raw land acquisition to sale and leasing of over 200 acres of retail, commercial, multi-family and single-family residential tracts
- Representation of a national bank in acquisition, disposition, development and leasing of raw land and improved properties for branch bank and office use throughout South and Central Texas.
- Representation of large retailer in connection with development of anchored retail shopping centers, sale of excess properties, and industrial and retail leasing.
- Representation of developers and landowners in connection with negotiation of Utility Service Agreements and Private Participation Agreements with water and sewer utility providers.
- Representation of landowners in sale of conservation easements over the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone to the City of San Antonio under the Proposition One Edwards Aquifer Protection Program.
- Representation of a land trust in connection with the donation of conservation easements preserving agricultural, ranching and open-space land in West Texas.
- Representation of national homebuilder in the acquisition and development of raw land for residential subdivisions.
- Representation of electric utility in acquisition of right-of-way for easements serving new power plant.
- Representation of railroad in program for the disposition of excess right-of-way.