A South Texas native, Mr. Burton grew up in Corpus Christi, Texas. His practice focuses on the representation of land and mineral interest owners in the negotiation of oil and gas leases, uranium leases, wind leases, seismic survey permits, surface use agreements, pipeline easements and mineral conveyances. Mr. Burton is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law with the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
In the litigation context, Mr. Burton has represented landowners in litigation involving pipelines, surface use, the underpayment of royalties, and general mineral lease disputes in venues throughout South Texas, including in the state district courts of Webb, Zapata, Dimmit, Maverick and LaSalle Counties.
- Admitted to bar: Texas, 2001; United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, 2002.
- Intern to: The Honorable Samuel Cummings, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Texas, 2001; The Honorable Tony Garza, Railroad Commission of Texas, 2000; and The Honorable J. Bonner Dorsey, Justice for the Thirteenth Appellate District for the State of Texas, 1999.
- Education: Texas Tech University (J.D., 2001). During law school at Texas Tech, Mr. Burton was a contributing writer to the Texas Bank Lawyer and received the Jurisprudence Award for Superior Academic Achievement in Texas Pre-Trial Litigation. University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1998). During college at UT, Mr. Burton was a Thomas O. Hicks Scholar.
- Board Certified, Oil, Gas and Mineral Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2012
Representative Oil, Gas and Mineral Experience
- Representation of family mineral trust in the negotiation of Geophysical Survey Agreement, Option and Right of First Refusal Agreement, Surface Use Agreements, and Oil and Gas Leases (based on horizontally severed mineral estate) on over 53,000 acres in Dimmit and Maverick Counties.
- Representation of trustee in matters pertaining to Oil and Gas Lease and related agreements on over 105,000 acres in Dimmit, LaSalle and Webb Counties.
- Representation of mineral owners in successful lease termination claim on over 150,000 acres in Maverick, Zavala and Dimmit Counties.
- Representation of mineral and surface owners in dispute with lessee on over 41,000 acres in Dimmit, Maverick and Webb Counties.
- Representation of mineral and surface owners in matters pertaining to Oil and Gas Lease and Surface Use Agreement on over 33,000 acres in Maverick County.
- Representation of family mineral trusts in negotiation of Oil and Gas Leases on over 26,000 acres in Dimmit and LaSalle Counties.
- Representation of family mineral trusts and surface owners in negotiation of Oil and Gas Leases and Surface Use Agreements on over 11,000 acres in Wilson and Karnes Counties.
- Representation of mineral owners and surface owners in royalty audit and litigation on over 24,000 mineral acres in Maverick County, resulting in settlement favorable to the clients.
- Representation of mineral owner in negotiation of Oil and Gas Leases on over 17,000 acres in Roberts and Ochiltree Counties.
- Representation of mineral owners in royalty dispute involving close to 60,000 mineral acres in Oldham County.
- Representation of foundation in mineral and surface matters on over 215,000 acres in four South Texas counties.
Professional Affiliations and Publications
- Member, San Antonio Bar Association (Natural Resources Section)
- State Bar of Texas (Sections on Oil, Gas and Energy Law, and Real Estate Probate and Trust Law)
- Fellow, San Antonio Bar Foundation (2003-)
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation (2015-)
- “The Ten Top Issues Land And Mineral Owners Should Include In Their Oil And Gas Lease” – presented with Joseph B.C. Fitzsimons for The Trust Company, N.A. (October 1, 2008, San Antonio, Texas).
- “Uranium Leasing - Issues Facing Land and Mineral Owners” presented for the Natural Resources Section of the San Antonio Bar Association (November 12, 2008, San Antonio, Texas).
- “Uranium Leasing – Issues Facing Land and Mineral Owners”, published in Volume 33, Number 2, of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section Report for the State Bar of Texas, December 2008.
- "Uranium Leasing Update", presented at the State Bar of Texas' 27th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Course (October 9, 2009, Houston, Texas).
- "Going Nuclear: A Primer on Uranium Mining", published in Volume 9, Number 2, of the Energy Litigation Journal by the Energy Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association's Litigation Section, Winter 2010.
- "Leasing in the Eagle Ford Shale from the Land and Mineral Owner's Perspective", presented with Joseph B.C. Fitzsimons at the Bi-Annual Meeting of the Texas Land and Mineral Owners Association (October 21, 2010, San Antonio, Texas).
- "Conducting the Royalty Owner's Lease Audit", presented at the Texas Bankers Association's Real Estate, Oil and Gas Conference (April 1, 2011, San Antonio, Texas).
- "The Oil and Gas Lease, Part IV: Other Clauses", presented at the University of Texas School of Law's 37th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Institute (April 7, 2011, Houston, Texas).
- "Reconciling Mineral Rights and Conservation Easements", contributing author, along with Blair Fitzsimons and Joseph B.C. Fitzsimons, published in Volume 11, Number 1, of the Texas Land and Mineral Owners Official Newsletter, 1st Quarter 2011.
- "Recent Developments in Real Estate, Estate Planning and Wealth Management", presented along with Alejandro Sostre-Odio and Arthur Uhl, at the Texas Bankers' Association's Real Estate, Oil and Gas Conference (March 8, 2012, San Antonio, Texas).
- "Pipeline Easements and Legal Cases", presented at the Bi-Annual Meeting of the Texas Land and Mineral Owners Association (October 18, 2012, San Antonio, Texas).
- "Supreme Court of Texas and Texas Legislature Update for 2013", presented at the Annual Convention of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association (March 24, 2013, Fort Worth, Texas).
- "Texas Oil and Gas Legal Update", presented at the Texas Bankers' Association's Real Estate, Oil and Gas Conference (March 27, 2014, San Antonio, Texas)
- "Interpreting Royalty Reservations", presented at the State Bar of Texas' 33rd Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Course (October 2, 2015, Houston, Texas)
- "Conducting the Mineral Owner's Lease Audit", presented at the Texas Bankers Association's Real Estate, Oil and Gas Conference (March 24, 2016, San Antonio, Texas)
- "Texas Oil and Gas Legal Update", presented at the Texas Bankers' Association's 2017 Intermediate Trust and Estate Administration Seminar (May 4, 2017, Dallas, Texas)
Awards, Honors and Leadership Positions
- Member of the Vestry, Christ Episcopal Church (2016)
- 40 Under 40 Award Recipient, San Antonio Business Journal (2015)
- Advisory Board, Children's Bereavement Center of South Texas (2014- )
- Graduate, Leadership San Antonio, Class XXXII
- Board of Directors, Christ Episcopal Church Endowment, Inc. (2012-present) (Chairman, 2014-present)
- Board of Directors, American Red Cross, San Antonio Area Chapter (2004-2006)
- Member, Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association
- Member, Texas Wildlife Association
- Texas Monthly Magazine, Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" 2014
- Scene in S.A. Magazine, "Rising Stars" 2009
- In 2013, Mr. Burton was appointed by Governor Rick Perry to the Unclaimed Mineral Proceeds Commission to study unclaimed land grant mineral proceeds in order to determine, among other information, efficient and effective procedures under which the State of Texas may be required to determine the owners of the proceeds, notify the owners of the proceeds, and distribute such proceeds to the rightful owners
- In 2016, Mr. Burton was appointed by Governor Greg Abbott to the Nueces River Authority Board of Directors. The Nueces River Authority administers the control, employment, and conservation of the waters of the Nueces River Basin, forestation and reforestation, groundwater, storm water, floodwater, water quality control, solid waste, and parks and recreational facilities.
- Member, Texas Cavaliers